Friday, June 19, 2009

Chicken Intelligence


Again, I am completely blown-away by this. I see it coming out in the chickens we have, they are getting familiar with us, realize we are not a threat and are actually coming to us when we enter the coop.


Dr. Joy Mench, Professor of Animal Science at University of California at Davis
“Dr. Joy Mench, Professor and Director of the Center for Animal Welfare at the Univ. of Calif. at Davis explains, ‘Chickens show sophisticated social behavior….That’s what a pecking order is all about. They can recognize more than a hundred other chickens and remember them. They have more than thirty types of vocalizations.’”


It is funny, my daughter asked me last night, do they understand each others chirps. I said, "They must". I have observed some on the roosting rod and others wanting to fly up, but some may need to move over and the one wanting up, clucks a few times and they "MOVE".

No comments:

Post a Comment